SALISBURY, N.C. – The Lees-McRae College men's tennis team was shut out by a 9-0 score Wednesday afternoon at Catawba. The loss moves LMC's record to 1-7 on the season.
Junior Gabriel Muniz picked up the lone set victory for LMC Wednesday. Muniz, who was playing from the No. 1 singles position, pushed Catwaba's Lucas Miller to three sets. Muniz won the first frame 7-6 and battled Miller in the third stanza before falling 10-7.
The rest of Wednesday's results are listed below.
1. Lucas Miller (Catawba) def. Gabriel Muniz (LMC) – 6-7, 6-2, 10-7
2. Ryen Reid (Catawba) def. Garrett Lakey (LMC) – 6-0, 6-4
3. Carson Hiers (Catawba) def. Sebastian Zuhr (LMC) – 6-4, 6-1
4. Adam Rocko (Catawba) def. Brandon Caldwell (LMC) – 6-1, 6-2
5. Iago Nunez (Catawba) def. Cole Dougals-Fields (LMC) – 6-3, 7-5
6. Brad Smethurst (Catawba) def. Thomas Deeley (LMC) – 6-4, 7-5
1. Michael Patch/Luca Picci (Catawba) def. Gabriel Muniz/Garrett Lake (LMC) - 8-5
3. Iago Nunez/Brad Smethurst (Catawba) def. Brandon Caldwell (LMC) – 8-4
The Bobcats will return to Banner Elk this weekend to begin a three-match home stand. The first of these three matches will be Friday when Lees-McRae hosts Southern Wesleyan. The start time for that contest is set for 2 p.m.